Navigating the Theatre Industry for Latiné Actors
This online industry seminar will provide actors with strategies for navigating the theatre industry as a Latiné actor/performer. Understanding the roadblocks that are unique to Latina/o/xs in this industry is crucial in order to recognize, process, and overcome these.
- Personal experience including roadblocks and industry shifts.
- General industry strategies for working in today’s theatre industry.
- Insights specific to being a Latiné stage actor/performer.
Participants will uncover:
- How to get directors & casting directors to trust your work.
- How to determine your actor’s essence by defining your Actor USPs™.
- How to maneuver the theatre industry as a Latiné actor-performer.
- How to incorporate this information to create a captivating resume, take that “perfect” headshot, and more!
Why This Seminar:
As someone who is actively working on both sides of the table:
- As a working actor (most recently in the role of “Dr. Mendoza” in Destiny of Desire @ The Old Globe in San Diego);
- As a director (Elliot, a Soldier’s Fugue @ ENT Center for the Arts in Colorado Springs);
- As a writer (contributor to Latinx Actor Training, Routledge);
- And as career coach & consultant (professionalactor.org).
Julio is uniquely qualified to share his strategies and tips on creating and maintaining a career in this industry. His Seventeen Success Strategies™ have been foundational in preparing artists to work in theatre, film/tv, voice overs, cruise lines, theme parks, regional/NYC/Broadway theatre, and in international venues.
What to Prepare:
Actors would do well to have a copy of their resume on hand, as well as questions specific to transitioning their careers from where they are to where they want to be (e.g. “I would like to have representation by January 31st” or “I am receiving callbacks but not booking work”).
Additionally, anyone wanting specific feedback may send a sample audition video to AgustinConsulting1@gmail.com by December 1st for review (subject line: HOLA Seminar); two of these will be presented and discussed during the seminar time permitting.
About Julio Agustín:
Julio Agustín (he/él/theirs) has performed in six Broadway shows (Chicago, Fosse, Women on the Verge…, others). Award nominations include Audelco Award, Best Director (Sweet Charity @ New Haarlem Arts Theatre, NYC); Syracuse Area Live Theatre, Best Choreographer (In the Heights @ Hangar Theatre); and Houston Press, Best Choreographer (Guys and Dolls @ Theatre Under the Stars). He is the author of The Professional Actor’s Handbook: From Casting Call to Curtain Call, contributor to Latinx Actor Training, co-lyricist of Ay! Ay! Ay! and the Westside Stories, and book writer of Movin’ on the Musical. Member: AEA, SAG-AFTRA, SDC. @JulioAgustinNYC / ProfessionalActor.org.
General Information and Requirements:
- Class will be held in English Language.
- Class will be a virtual format via Zoom. All guests except the speakers shall be muted upon entrance.
- Recording of this class is prohibited.
- You will receive an email with the Zoom link one day before the class.
- Please click on the meeting link at least 10 minutes early to take care of any technical issues that may happen. We will not be able to provide technical support during the masterclass.
- Make sure you connect from a quiet room/area, avoid any distractions while the class is in session.
- Be camera-ready. Cameras are required to stay ON for the full duration of the class in order to participate.
- Please DO NOT register if you cannot be present for the entire class.
- No one will be admitted once the class has started. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- There will be a Q&A section at the end of the session.
About HOLA Master Classes series:
In expanding job opportunities for Hispanic actors, HOLA strengthens and supports the available talent pool through its Educational Programs which offers professional development, acting training and networking opportunities for members and the Hispanic community. This is an invaluable resource for artists to further develop their skills, gain practical experience and industry knowledge to support a greater chance of success in their careers. HOLA Master Classes are free for members and scheduled once a month.
HOLA y sus clases magistrales:
En función de expandir las oportunidades laborales de los actores hispanos, HOLA fortalece y apoya el potencial del talento humano disponible a través de sus programas educativos. Los cuales ofrecen desarrollo profesional, formación actoral; además, de las oportunidades de establecer relaciones interpersonales entre los miembros y la comunidad hispana. Este invaluable recurso impulsa a los artistas a desarrollar aún más sus habilidades. Ganando experiencia práctica y conocimientos del área; aumentando así, las posibilidades de éxito en sus carreras. Las clases magistrales de HOLA son mensuales y gratuitas para los miembros.
- In the event you need to cancel your reservation, immediately notify us within 24 hrs notice. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us of your cancelation.
- Failure to cancel on time will result in one unexcused absence.
- An unexcused absence will suspend your privilege to register/participate in the next 2 HOLA Master Classes or Workshops.
Política de cancelación:
- Para cancelar su reserva, debe notificarlo con 24 horas de anticipación a través del correo electrónico: email@example.com
- La falta de notificación oportuna o demorada, se considerará una inasistencia injustificada.
- Cada inasistencia injustificada suspende la inscripción de las próximas 2 clases magistrales o talleres de HOLA.
HOLA would like to gratefully acknowledge Radio Drama Network for their generous support towards our 2023 educational programming supporting art that enriches our culture.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.